Community Food Bank-Green Valley
At the Green Valley-Sahuarita Community Food Bank our mission is to anticipate and meet the food needs of the hungry in our community. We invite volunteers to help us make a difference by sharing their skills and experience with the community and each other.
Giving back for the good of the community benefits volunteers and those in need. Volunteering has been said to be the secret ingredient to staying healthy and fulfilled. For more information about our volunteer opportunities, please contact us.
- Distribution Room: Guides cliends through their shopping experience; requires walking and standing for entire shift.
- Facility Cleanliness Crew: End of day, sweeping, mopping, trash removal and general facility cleaning for break room, warehouse, bathroom, distribution room, and client waiting area; requres standing, walking and bending and lifting up to 40 pounds.
- Front Desk: Computer skills needed; detail oriented; people friendly; fast paced; must be able to sit at desk for most of shift. Permanent residents only.
- General Warehouse: Sorts produce and bread as it comes off the trucks; stocks shelves in distribution room; cleans warehouse; requires heavy lifting.
- Gleaner: January through April; picks citrus at private homes; unloads truck for recording; requires ability to climb ladders and lift buckets of picked citrus.
- Greeter: People oriented; welcomes and signs in clients; assists people bringing in donations; requires standing for most of shift.
- Vehicle Crew: Goes with driver to five local stores for pickup; help to load and unload; requires heavy lifting.
- Warehouse Food Safety Clerk: A pivotal position where quality control starts by checking donated items; detail oriented; requires standing for entire shift and lifting up to 40 pounds.
- Warehose Receiving Desk: Records items from truck delivery; writes receipts for personal donations; coordinates products for delivery to the Distribution Room; answers phone as necessary; helps in sorting when needed; requires sitting and standing for most of shift and lifting up to 40 pounds.
Note: Some type of cleaning (sweeping, wiping down tables, emptying baskets, etc.) is required in all volunteer poisitons.
What to do:
- Applications are available at the Food Bank facility at 250 E. Continental Road, #101 in Green Valley, AZ. (Client hours are 9 am – 12:30 pm, M, W, Th, F. Tuesdays 12:30-4:30 pm. Staff is always available 8 am -3 pm)
- Ask to speak with Lilia Dawson so she can guide you through the process.
- Return the completed application to Lilia.
- You will be invited to attend a Volunteer Orientation Session.
What you need to know:
- We have opportunities for substitute/on call volunteers
- Shifts are 2.5 to 4 hours, once or twice a week
- Closed toe shoes are required
- Volunteers must be a minimum of 16 years old